The security benefits of using credit cards have long been recognised. Even with the extra attention that is being placed on identity theft and credit card fraud these days, using your credit card is still one of the safest ways to pay for things available.
All credit card companies will provide you with an emergency number to call if your card is lost or stolen and in the vast majority of cases, any loss that is incurred by your account will be fully refunded by the card provider. This will always be the case unless you are somehow involved or to blame for the fraud, such as by giving out your security details to someone you shouldn’t have trusted. This means that even if your cards and information are stolen, you generally have nothing to worry about so long as you report the incident. Replacement cards can be sent to you very quickly.
Another benefit of credit cards over cash is that you can use them with ease abroad. They are fast becoming an internationally recognised currency. While cash will be accepted everywhere within your own country, credit cards are accepted at a huge number of locations all over the world. As soon as you step off a plane, and especially if you are travelling through a number of countries, a credit card will be an invaluable means of payment everywhere you go.
Another huge benefit of credit cards, that is really only beginning to show itself with the growth of Internet shopping, is the ease with which payments can be arranged online. There are thousands of websites now, all over the world that will conduct business with you and give you access to great prices if you have a credit card to pay for it. Gone are the days when cheques would be mailed in the post. Now, with new payment systems such as pay pal, even individuals can accept credit card payments with great ease and for very little expense. You should take care with your personal information and payment details however, and conduct business either via an intermediary such as pay pal, or only with companies you know you can trust.
The disadvantage of credit cards is that they can cost you money. You pay interest on balances that you carry from one month to another and if you do use your credit card abroad, you will have to accept additional charges from your card provider.
Having a credit card and maintaining a good credit score are definitely challenging jobs. There are some credit cards which are designed especially for the armed personnel. Having the national flag design and regular contribution to the Defence Welfare Association are some of the privileges these types of cards offers to the armed forces.
Highlights of these credit cards
• Joining fees and annual fees for first year usually will be nil.
• Similarly, joining and annual fees for an add-on member are free.
• Card holders do not have to pay charges for loss/re-issue/replacement of card as well for SMS transaction alerts
• If the card is misplaced or lost, the holder can withdraw cash by cheque - no fee for the service
• Charges for duplicate statement, charge slip retrieval and balance enquiry are nil.
• Dining Delight option - Minimum 15 % discount for dining at specific partnered restaurants.
• Complimentary access available to airport lounges
• Want to include a beloved family member - spouse, children, siblings, parents? - They just have to be above 18 years of age.
• Similar to all bank credit cards, even this card will be PIN protected and equipped with an EMV certified chip. Card holders can remain hassle free while making all kinds of transactions on mobile and other devices as there is less possibility of skimming/counterfeit fraud.
• Reward options may include a visit to a theme park, paragliding trip or going abroad a charter.
• Zero Lost Card Liability - Lost or misplaced the card? Afraid it fell on wrong hands? This liability protects the holder from the moment the loss of card is reported to the customer service. However, terms and conditions apply.
To be eligible for these cards, the card holder should be
• Defence Personnel
• The primary card holder should be between 18 and 70 years of age
• Add-on card holder should have attained the age of 18 years
These cards come with multiple reward points which can be gained by participating in community competitions. Accumulation of more than 1000 points leads to a voucher having value of $50. A card holder can get discounts in multiplexes by just showing proof of the discount voucher.
Or they can avail of free travel (as per the conditions and terms) in a theme park.
In all, these credit cards issued to the armed forces are a boon to their families as they can make bill payments online, book tickets for their favourite show or shop for essential items at multiplexes.